Kylie Purdie's Reviews > Teacher: One woman's struggle to keep the heart in teaching

Teacher by Gabbie Stroud

In a former life I was a teacher. I gave it up reluctantly and for very different reasons to Gabbie Stroud, but I can see if I had stayed, I would have been Gabbie. It was starting to happen when I left and I was very uneasy about it. I would have been that teacher who could not reconcile what I was told to do with what I needed to do to be the best teacher I could be. Like her I would have railed against the standardised testing, the documenting of every little detail of your day to prove you were capable of teaching, the determination of governments both state and federal to treat education as a business, teaching as a science not as an art and the viewing of children as things we can squeeze into little boxes rather than marveling at the wonder of them.

Don't get me wrong, there is a place for testing, there is a place for being able to justify and give evidence as to why you have graded a student a particular way, but what the current system seems hell bent on doing is saying testing is the only valuable form of assessment, that a teacher's knowledge of their class and the work they do day to day is not enough to justify a grade. That instead we need to put children, teachers and parents under enormous pressure to meet benchmarks, kick goals and be reduced to a number. We need to accept that not every child is brilliant and for some children, they aren't even average - and that is ok. Are they learning? Are they making progress (no I don't need to know if it's quicker or slower than every other 3rd grader in the country)? Are we instilling in them a love of learning so even they do take longer, they don't give up? Do we value them as something more than a funding dollar?

I won't pretend to know the exact state of education now, I've been out of it for a long time. I do know as a parent the unease I started to feel as a teacher never really left. I know that many of my teacher friends feel a huge amount of pressure with the work load they have and I know change needs to happen.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teacher.

January 19, 2019 – Started Reading