Lauren Schnoebelen's Reviews > Sleeping Giants

Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel

liked it

3.75⭐️

The format was what really peaked my interest in the book because one of my favorites (The Rise and Fall of the D.O.D.O.) also has a report type formatting but the interviews got me confused in the beginning trying to keep all the players straight. About 20 pages in, I decided to restart with the audiobook and it was definitely the way to go. I loved the interactions between Kara and Ryan and Rose and Vincent but even though I felt myself attached to the characters and really enjoying the sense of humor throughout (I'm look at you Kara), when serious events happened, I wasn't feeling the amount of emotions I had expected. The concept of the robot and the reason for its existence/purpose was so fascinating to me. I really enjoyed the moments with Mr. Burns and the information he was able to provide throughout his time with our interviewer. This was a solid 4 stars for me for the entire time except the ending. I couldn't figure out what we were building up to and once it happened, I was like "that's it?" I get the scary part about it is that this is probably one of the most realistic endings possible in this type of situation but even then, I think I would have preferred 1-3 more entries to really build the suspense. Maybe a few more entry logs instead of interviews to really understand what they were thinking rather than what they were telling the interviewer in conversation. If that happened, I think it would have definitely been a 4 star for me. I plan on continuing the series (and definitely with the audiobooks) but I'm currently unsure when that will be. But the epilouge reallly makes me want to know what happens in the sequel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Giants.

January 20, 2019 – Shelved