Peter Dunn's Reviews > Towards the End of the Morning

Towards the End of the Morning by Michael Frayn

First published in 1967 this could be seen as bit of a museum piece now in its fictional depiction of live in the media. I say media rather just a newspaper as it also touches on radio and TV. It does leave aside the hard news side of both broadcast and print media, but there are plenty of others who have trodden that path.

This fictional focus on the features, fillers and analysis side of things in the Sixties is endearingly quaint and it is a quick and entertaining read. Yes I have used the word fictional twice which might make one think that this may perhaps stray far from the reality of sixties' media but I think author Michael Frayn’s own extensive media credentials means that we can assume that this tale is well grounded in the reality of that time and place.

Curious how even those seemingly far slower times in the world of press, with far longer processes and far more people to deliver the product, still manages to provide plenty of opportunities for the author to depict a believable life of almost constant stress, panic, and frustration for at least two of his media characters. Life can always find a way to make even the most languid situation feel almost impossible, particularly when change is itself slowly beginning to make itself felt…

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Towards the End of the Morning.

January 19, 2019 – Started Reading