Karen's Reviews > Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss

Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss by Rajeev Balasubramanyam

190448

This book is not what it looks like on the surface. At least not what it looked like to me. It's not a light beach read. It's also not a "quirky character" read like quite a few that came out last year. I like both of those genres just fine but I wanted to make sure to say what it's not because I find that the expectations we have for a book before we read it end up coloring our feelings about the book (at least it does for me.)

Anyhow. This book is about a father, (and his family), whose life is not turning out the way he thought/wanted/worked for and at almost seventy, he is reflecting and taking steps to understand what life is about and to reconnect with his children.

There are several lovely passages in the book. Here's one I liked:

"....Even my wife, my former wife, I mean. I used to know her, but now I only think I knew her. She left me for someone else. His name's Steve. I think he understands her. I don't think I ever did."

"It's a bit cliched, isn't it?" said Bryan, whose grin seemed to have prevailed for three hours now. "The aging male whole wife left him all alone and now women are this giant cosmic mystery...."

"So now I am lonely and a cliche?"

"I don't think it's about understanding women. You're just up against a universal conundrum. Look, I have a partner, right? I like him. I love him. But I don't
understand him. Sometimes I think I don't even know him. And that's not because he's an atheist or Hispanic or an only child. It's because he's another human being. Humans don't understand each other. Punto. That's the way it is. But start saying you don't understand women and you're making yourself the problem. Let is go. You're just a human like anyone else."

There are a few bits of wisdom here and there that really spoke to me. I also loved that it didn't tie up into a big, pretty bow in the end. There are moments of realization, moments of progress but there are also moments of sliding back. These characters are human. They are flawed. They are real. Even the ones you don't know much about, you can connect with.

I really enjoyed this gem and thank you to netgalley and the publisher for an early copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss.

January 20, 2019 – Started Reading