Liora Sophie's Reviews > Plain Truth

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

4719818

Plain Truth was impossible to put down. It provided a marvelous escape, which was just what I needed when I started reading it. Like all of Jodi Picoult’s books, it was impossible to predict until the very last page. The ending was so unexpected, it made me see the entire story in a totally different light.

This book was an experience for me. I fell in love with the characters and stumbled over strange land along with them. In her book, "Plain Truth," Jodi Picoult tells the breathtaking story of an Amish woman who goes to trial for killing a baby. Although each of the characters came from a different background, every one of them faced the challenge of having to thrive in unfamiliar territory at some point during the book. Katie, Jacob, and Samuel had to adjust to the ways of the “English” world, while the prosecutor, the judge and Ellie, Katie’s attorney all had to get used to the Amish traditions. They all struggled to bridge two worlds which rarely met. They were forced to confront the one thing they had in common – humanity, which is not always good, and not always what you expect it to be.

Picoult has yet again worked her magic of mixing up the good guys and the bad guys until you’re not quite sure who’s who. Through Ellie’s eyes I learned a lot I didn’t know about the Amish, and came to relate to most of the people on the Fisher’s farm. However, I agreed just as strongly with George Callahan’s claims that the Amish were not angels, and no murderer should walk free. But we don’t know what happened, and neither does the Jury. It’s this which makes the book so real and compelling. I can’t wait to find all the rest of her works and read everything she’s ever written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plain Truth.

January 26, 2012 – Started Reading
January 26, 2012 – Shelved
January 31, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Joyful Comfort Great review! Very well-written. This was definitely one of my favorite Jodi Picoult books. Try "The Pact", Liora.

Liora Sophie Joyful wrote: "Great review! Very well-written. This was definitely one of my favorite Jodi Picoult books. Try "The Pact", Liora."

Thanks!