Larraine's Reviews > The Anatomist's Apprentice

The Anatomist's Apprentice by Tessa Harris

Jan 26, 2012

Read on January 26, 2012

Turns and twists and subterfuges and surprises confound the reader. Just when you are SURE you know what's going on, something else comes up. If I had read that the Romantic Times had reviewed this book, I might have ignored it. As it is, this is one that I saw in a review and decided to try. It's really terrific. I'm already looking forward to the author's next book! Dr. Thomas Silkstone is learning the finer points of his craft as an anatomist from a well known London doctor. He has recently arrived from Philadelphia in the midst of the American Revolution, 1780. He is treated disdainfully by many, but the people who know him are aware of his brilliance and hard work. The book opens with the horrific death of an Earl on an estate near Oxford. Soon Silkstone is drawn into an incredible web of deceit and lies. This book is really well written and researched. There is even a glossary at the end explaining some of the words the reader might not know. Harris is a historian and writer and an Oxford graduate herself. It's a pleasure to read a book that is well written and also gripping. There's a little romance, but not so much that it overwhelms the story. Good read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anatomist's Apprentice.