Ronyell's Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

Jan 26, 2012

bookshelves: 1st-person-pov, irish-books, sexy-bad-boy-hero, urban-fantasy, karen-marie-moning, paranormal-romance, my-blog-reviews, adult-book
Read from January 27 to February 03, 2012

I have been reading paranormal romance novels since forever and I have stumbled upon a paranormal novel that was certainly more different from any other paranormal novels I have read before. “Darkfever” is a paranormal mystery novel by Karen Marie Moning and is the first book I have read from Karen Marie Moning. “Darkfever” is one novel that is full of mystery, drama, and high thrills action that will have any paranormal fan read this book over and over again!

MacKayla Lane, Mac for short, was having a really great life until her sister Alina was mysteriously murdered in Ireland and Mac decides to go to Ireland to find her sister’s murderer and avenge her death. While in Ireland, Mac meets a mysterious yet gruff man named Jericho Barrons who was as handsome as sin and seems to know what has become of her sister, Alina. Can Mac trust this mysterious man and will she be able to avenge her sister’s death?

Wow! This was one amazing and dramatic paranormal book and I was practically reading this novel all day to find out what happens next! I would have to say that this is not really a paranormal romance novel, but more like a paranormal mystery novel since the bulk of this novel was focused on Mac trying to find out who murdered her sister and how she and Jericho start to discover the magical yet dangerous world surrounding them. Karen Marie Moning has done a brilliant job at writing this novel as it is full of mystery and frightening supernatural elements. I loved the way that Karen Marie Moning wrote this story from MacKayla Lane’s point of view on the situations that surrounded her life because we actually get a really good close up on Mac’s feelings about the situation she is stuck in and how she reacts to each of them. Probably the best aspects of this novel were the characters as they were extremely memorable and easily relatable to the audience. I really loved the heroine MacKayla Lane as she might seem a bit whiny at the beginning of the book, but she always had a strong sense of justice and she truly cared for her sister Alina as she went all the way to Ireland to bring her murderer to justice. Jericho Barrons, the hero of this story, was a really interesting character as he is just full of mystery and is handsome and muscular to boot! Even though I will admit that I sometimes get a little annoyed with Jericho’s slightly rude attitude, I was really impressed with how well he knows about the Faes and other mystical beings that threatened Ireland and how he tries to teach Mac about surviving in this dangerous world of mystical beings that want to kill them. I especially loved the hilarious banter between Jericho Barrons and MacKayla Lane as they constantly argue with each other throughout the book, but they know that they need each other to survive whatever ordeal they might go through whenever they are facing the dangerous mystical beings.

For those of you who do not like strong language, this novel does have strong language, especially with dropping the “F” bomb several times throughout this book. Also, even though there are no actual sex scenes between the characters, there were times where the main character, Mac, does think of explicit sexual images in her mind.

Overall, “Darkfever” is definitely one paranormal book I want to read over and over again and after reading the ending of this book, I am definitely looking forward to reading more from this series!

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

Quotes Ronyell Liked

Karen Marie Moning
“I love books, by the way, way more than movies. Movies tell you what to think. A good book lets you choose a few thoughts for yourself. Movies show you the pink house. A good book tells you there's a pink house and lets you paint some of the finishing touches, maybe choose the roof style,park your own car out front. My imagination has always topped anything a movie could come up with. Case in point, those darned Harry Potter movies. That was so not what that part-Veela-chick, Fleur Delacour, looked like.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Sometimes, Ms. Lane," he said, "one must break with one's past to embrace one's future. It is never an easy thing to do. It is one of the distinguishing characteristics between survivors and victims. Letting go of what was, to survive what is.”

Karen Marie Moning
“You want to believe in black and white, good and evil, heroes that are truly heroic, villains that are just plain bad, but I've learned in the past year that things are rarely so simple. The good guys can do some truly awful things, and the bad guys can sometimes surprise the heck out of you.”

Karen Marie Moning
“If he was winter, I was summer. If I was sunshine, he was night. A dark and stormy one.”

01/27/2012 page 60
19.0% ""Snoopy Hmm...who killed Mac's sister Alina?"
01/28/2012 page 100
32.0% "Who is this Jericho Barrons?"
02/01/2012 page 170
55.0% "It's time to fight some demons! Buffy"
02/04/2012 page 309
100.0% "Finished! Review soon to come!"
11/25/2017 marked as: read

Hira First time reading it? Enjoy!

Ronyell Hira wrote: "First time reading it? Enjoy!"

Thanks Hira! I'm starting to enjoy this book!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I just started book two. I can't wait to see what you think of this book, Ronyell.

Ronyell Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I just started book two. I can't wait to see what you think of this book, Ronyell."

Thanks Danielle! It's pretty interesting so far!

Rhonda I read this in one sitting, the only time I've done that.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Glad you loved it, Ronyell. I just read book two and it was great as well.

Ronyell Rhonda wrote: "I read this in one sitting, the only time I've done that."

Oh man, I wished I read this book in one sitting too, but I enjoyed it anyway! :D

Ronyell Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Glad you loved it, Ronyell. I just read book two and it was great as well."

That's great Danielle! Now I definitely can't wait to read book 2!

Michelle [Helen Geek] Lovely review ... Loved these books. I read them over a year ago and really need to read again!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Great review Rony! You are making me want to read it again!

Ronyell Michelle wrote: "Lovely review ... Loved these books. I read them over a year ago and really need to read again!"

Thanks Michelle! I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of this series!

Ronyell Suzanne the Mighty ~Satin Seductress~ wrote: "Great review Rony! You are making me want to read it again!"

Thanks Suzanne! I might even want to read this book again someday!

♥Rachel♥ Wonderful review, Ronyell! I love this series. Especially Barrons! Yum! :)

Ronyell ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Wonderful review, Ronyell! I love this series. Especially Barrons! Yum! :)"

Thanks Rachel! I really need to start reading the rest of this series!