David's Reviews > Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

Troublemaker by Leah Remini

bookshelves: nonfiction

Leah Remini’s memoir, “Troublemaker,” delves into the actress’s life as she juggles both her acting career and her participation in the cult known as Scientology. After watching the first two seasons of Remini’s A&E docuseries, I knew I needed to know more. I, of course, had seen “King of Queens,” but I wasn’t overly familiar with Scientology, so both the TV series and this book tuned me in to how utterly insane that “religion” is. It’s so fascinating.

I was already invested in learning more about Remini and Scientology, so I was bound to read this anyway, which also probably makes me a bit biased toward the material. Luckily, though, it’s not too shabby. There are areas covered here that aren’t on the show—namely Remini’s childhood and Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes’s wedding—which makes for a richer experience and a nice complement to the series. And since I binged those first two seasons pretty quickly, it’s almost like I was listening to Remini read me this herself. She often comes off as harsh but also genuine, which I think is needed—especially during the Scientology sections.

This might be typical memoir fare, but I’m so caught up with this topic that I ended up enjoying it overall, even though there’s some obvious overlap with the docuseries. It was nice to match the names with the faces from the show too. The writing is fairly standard, but it’s an illuminating and quick read. I’d say give it a try if you’re interested in Remini or her experiences in Scientology. I’ll probably read “Going Clear” by Lawrence Wright at some point this year too, which likely has more of a journalistic presentation to the material.

Also, where’s Shelly Miscavige? She’s the wife of Scientology leader David Miscavige, a 5’3” Rat King. Shelly hasn’t been publicly seen since 2007. I kind of feel like I need to help her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troublemaker.

January 19, 2019 – Shelved
page 95
January 28, 2019 –
page 149
January 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Shelly is probably locked inside a hyperbaric chamber, inside a locked basement room, in the creepy Scientology headquarters. Maybe we should look for her? Knock on some doors?

David Alicia wrote: "Shelly is probably locked inside a hyperbaric chamber, inside a locked basement room, in the creepy Scientology headquarters. Maybe we should look for her? Knock on some doors?"

Dear Xenu, I hope not. I heard rumor that she's in an underground apocalypse bunker in California. I definitely think we should look for her, though. Road trip?

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Yes, and I'm making Save Shelly t-shirts!