Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

Jul 03, 2007

bookshelves: fantasy, owned-physical-book, 2006, 2005, 4-stars
Read in July, 2006

I never thought I'd say this, but I was actually disappointed with this one. It used to be that PoA was my favourite Harry Potter book, but I discovered that listening to it, rather than reading it myself forced me to go slower, and really pick up on all the things that I didn't like about the book. Like Hermione being totally insensitive to Ron (I'd've been pissed at her too!). Like Snape being utterly unfair and totally hysterical. Like the Ministry of Magic being incredibly unjust. Sirius never got a proper trial the first time around, and then when he escaped and people - children and a werewolf granted, but still people - claim that he's innocent, nobody cares, and he's just going to get kissed by a dementor anyway? I just got really, really annoyed. Fudge INFURIATED me, and Snape (whom I usually love to hate, but not so much any longer) wasn't much better. Bah! I don't think I can place HP among my favourite books any longer. I'm still looking forward to book 7, but in general, I've come to realize I prefer fanfics to the canon books. A shame really.

However, I do like the fact that not everything revolves around Voldemort, and not everybody who seems to be out to get Harry actually is out to get him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.