Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews's Reviews > The Last Romantics

The Last Romantics by Tara Conklin
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1882027
's review

it was ok



The family had to move to a smaller house and a not-so-nice neighborhood and to fend for themselves because they only saw their mother when she decided to venture out from her bedroom.

Renee was the oldest, Caroline was next in line, Joe was the only boy, and Fiona was the baby when it all happened. They called this time their mother was absent The Pause. The Pause went on for a few years.

The children did well for a while, but then things started to get tough. Renee couldn’t take the responsibility, and the other children couldn’t do without her. They started going their separate ways and weren’t as close knit as they had been until one day another adult stepped in, got them some help, and got their mother Antonia out of bed.

Things looked up after that, and the family unit worked better together as everyone grew up.

We learn of what happened to each family member whether good or bad. They all loved each other and were there for each other.

I was disappointed in this book even though it has Ms. Conklin's beautiful, detailed writing.

THE LAST ROMANTICS was not an appealing read or of interest, and I struggled to read it in its entirety especially since I LOVED her first book.

I know I am in the minority for opinions. 2/5

This book was given to me as an ARC by the publisher via NETGALLEY and in print in exchange for an honest review.
54 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Romantics.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

October 22, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
October 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
January 19, 2019 – Started Reading
January 19, 2019 – Shelved
January 20, 2019 –
10.0%
January 21, 2019 –
26.0%
January 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane What a let down. I've heard so many good things about this book.


Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews Jane wrote: "What a let down. I've heard so many good things about this book."

So have I.

I was so excited to read it. Not sure what all the hype was about.

Thanks for commenting.


message 3: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Great review, Elizabeth. It's sounds intriguing, but not important enough to TBR for now. Too many other books waiting.


Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews Margitte wrote: "Great review, Elizabeth. It's sounds intriguing, but not important enough to TBR for now. Too many other books waiting."

Thanks, Margitte.

It was not a favorite as you can see. :)

Thanks for commenting.


Jessica I totally agree. I had high hopes for this one but although the writing was beautiful, the story was just meh. And I found the throwaway subplot of climate change pointless to the story. I would have given up on the book midway but I had to read it for book club.


Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews Jessica wrote: "I totally agree. I had high hopes for this one but although the writing was beautiful, the story was just meh. And I found the throwaway subplot of climate change pointless to the story. I would ha..."

I was very disappointed.

I wasn't sure about that subplot either.

Thanks for commenting.


message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Thanks for the review Elizabeth! hope your next is much better!


Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews Holly wrote: "Thanks for the review Elizabeth! hope your next is much better!"

Thank you, Holly.


Sherbanu I guess I'm part of the minority that doesn't quite get the core behind the hype this book has received, sadly i couldn't bring myself to finish it.. thank you for your honest review


Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews Sherbanu wrote: "I guess I'm part of the minority that doesn't quite get the core behind the hype this book has received, sadly i couldn't bring myself to finish it.. thank you for your honest review"

I'm with you....I don't know what all the hype was about either.

The book and I didn't connect either...that's why I gave it a 2. :)


Sherbanu OMG exactly.. With The Kiss Quotient I connected with it. It's an awesome book. I loved every bit of it. The writers are matured. Altough I'm not against YA but a majority of those books have maturity issues lol. But Kiss Quotient was my 2019 favourite so far. I'd be so glad if you could email me any pdfs you have that you recommend I read. My email is sherbanumoloo@gmail.com


message 12: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Robertson Elizabeth, you have done what I have always wondered how best to handle. I respect that you came forward with an honest, 2-star, rating. You did it quite tactfully and genuinely. I struggle, as when I review for an author, especially in a giveaway, I feel compelled to always give a high rating/review, just based on who the author is, or that I received the book for free. Surely all books are not 5-star, but it always seems authors give fellow authors 5 starts. I've always hesitated to rate poorly, thinking no one will let me review for them again.
Thank you, this has been a learning experience on how to handle gracefully, yet informatively.


message 13: by Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews (last edited Feb 22, 2019 08:46AM) (new) - added it

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews Amy wrote: "Elizabeth, you have done what I have always wondered how best to handle. I respect that you came forward with an honest, 2-star, rating. You did it quite tactfully and genuinely. I struggle, as whe..."

You are welcome.

I rarely give bad reviews, but sometimes it just can't be helped. :) I promise honest, and I have to come through.

Thank you for your comment.


message 14: by Kim (new) - rated it 1 star

Kim I'm waiting for it to get better. So far it's falling short of expectations, but when someone tells me "family saga" I think 100 Years of Solitude and Isabelle Allende. This so far has paled to that.


Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews Kim wrote: "I'm waiting for it to get better. So far it's falling short of expectations, but when someone tells me "family saga" I think 100 Years of Solitude and Isabelle Allende. This so far has paled to that."

I'm glad I am not the only one who couldn't get into this book.

Thanks for commenting.


Wendy I agree. I feel like I missed something with this book.


Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews Wendy wrote: "I agree. I feel like I missed something with this book."

I felt like I was the only one who didn't like it. :)


Marialyce You gave it one more star than I did. 🙄


Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews Marialyce wrote: "You gave it one more star than I did. 🙄"

Ooooo....LOL!!

Glad to find someone else who wasn't thrilled. :)

Thanks for sharing.


Patti I'm with you..


Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews Patti wrote: "I'm with you.."

:)

I am not sure what all the fuss was about. :)


back to top