Linda Martin's Reviews > Kindred

Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

Truly amazing fiction. I loved reading this book and will always consider it one of the best novels I've ever read. It is a time travel novel (which isn't so unique these days as it might have been in the 1970's when it was written) but.. with an incredible setting... a black woman, age 26, living in Altadena near Los Angeles, is transported back to antebellum Maryland repeatedly, where she's treated as a slave.

Kindred shines a light on the horrors of slavery. These days we think, how could that have happened, yet it is still happening in places we would usually never see like the sex industry, in many places of this world. Never forget, it isn't over! There's still more work to be done in freeing people of all colors and races from the oppression of slavery.

What I loved about this book was not only the accurate albeit tragic depiction of history, but also that Octavia Butler did it without any judgements against the white race as a whole. I don't want to give any spoilers, but this book is really well thought out and written. I hope everyone will have time to read it. It is quite a page turner. Compelling!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kindred.

January 19, 2019 – Shelved
March 5, 2019 – Shelved as: sci-fi
March 5, 2019 – Shelved as: usa-historical
March 5, 2019 – Shelved as: time-travel
March 9, 2019 – Shelved as: popsugar-reading-challenge-2019

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by LauraPora (new) - added it

LauraPora I have this on my TBR, looking forward to it!

Linda Martin I think you will be surprised at how good it is. Octavia Butler wrote it in the seventies.

Mindy'sBookJourney I can't wait to read this book! I really enjoy Octavia Butler's writing, and this one sounds really good.

Linda Martin I hope you get to read Kindred soon, Mindy... now I want to read her Earthseed series: Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents! Maybe I'll have them on my reading list next year.