Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Geisha of Gion

Geisha of Gion by Mineko Iwasaki

Jul 03, 2007

bookshelves: cultural, favourites, biographies, owned-physical-book, 2007, 5-stars, non-fiction

Ever since I read "Memoirs of a Geisha" I've wanted to read this one, as Arthur Golden mentions this book as being one of his inspirations. On my way to Italy I found it at the airport, and immediately bought it. It did not disappoint. Where MoaG takes place around World War 2, this one describes the life of a Geisha in the 60s and 70s. You get to read about how Mineko meets Prince Charles, Queen Elizabeth and several other celebrities that we 'know'. Fascinating book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geisha of Gion.

Started Reading
July 6, 2007 – Shelved as: 2007
October 22, 2007 – Shelved as: 5-stars
May 10, 2008 – Shelved as: non-fiction

message 1: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Miller She also backs up her story of meeting Prince Charles, Queen Elizabeth and others with pictures within the book of her and these people.

message 2: by Khalisa ♥ (new)

Khalisa ♥ How could Arthur have possibly noted this book as an inspiration for Memoirs of a Geisha when this book came out 6 years AFTER his? I think you mean that Arthur's interviews with Iwasaki he conducted for his book was his inspiration. After his book came out, Iwasaki did not like the way he used her words and story, and wrote this autobiography of her own. Not that Memoirs of a Geisha was a bad book, I read it as well and loved it.

Maria Elmvang You're probably right. It's been many years since I've read either, so I could easily have remembered something wrong.