Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Wicked Road to Hell

Wicked Road to Hell by Juliana Stone

2043222

Last year I got sucked into Juliana Stone’s Jaguar Warriors series and I loved it. I also met a character whose story begged to be told, but it wasn’t in the Jaguar Warriors. His story is the first book in a new series called The League of Guardians.

Sorcerer Declan O’Hara was dragged into hell in the previous series. He spent 6 months (of our time, who knows how long he was really down there) as a prisoner of an evil nasty woman named Lilith. She used him as her boy toy and slowly stripped pieces of his soul away. But Bill (the seraphim) rescued him from Lilith’s realm (and restored his soul) on the condition that Declan would join his League of Guardians. They keep the balance between good and evil. In fact some of their people are evil.

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but Julian (from His Darkest Salvation and Declan’s friend who was dragged into hell with him) was such an ass after he was rescued, that I figured Declan would be just as much a jerk. But he wasn’t. he was a pretty good guy, actually. In continuing to fight the darkness inside him, and in fighting his own genetics (his father was the villain in the Jaguar Warriors series), I found Declan to be one of the best heroes I’ve read lately.

Vampire Ana DeLacrux was staked at the end of His Darkest Salvation, but Bill meddled again and brought her back to life. Now she is guarding a teenage boy who is incredibly powerful, but untrained. Demons want him. The Seraphim want him. And Bill is keeping him in hiding. Until he sends Declan out on a mission that leads him to the boy. And the vampire guarding him.

Declan has been painfully in love with Ana deLacrux since the day he met her, so seeing her back from the dead is both wonderful and confusing. At first he doesn’t believe she’s real. Then he’s right pissed that she hasn’t told him she was alive. The two of them have some pretty hot moments, but Ana keeps pushing him away. She’s so drawn to him, and his blood, that she’s afraid she won’t be able to stop if she stays near him. But they’re thrust together in trying to figure out what this teenager has to do with the shifts in power they’ve been noticing. This book has a local werewolf pack introduced too, and I’m really intrigued as to where that plot is going. Ana and Declan face Lilith in hell, and they save the world…for now anyway.

There’s so much going on in this book, that at times it’s a bit overwhelming. I’d definitely recommend reading the Jaguar Warriors series first, or at least His Darkest Salvation. There is also a prequel called Wrong Side of Hell that I quite enjoyed, you can read my review here.

***ARC courtesy of edelweiss

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Road to Hell.

January 26, 2012 – Shelved
March 6, 2012 –
page 10
March 6, 2012 –
page 50
14.45% "Abs to die for. *snort*"
March 7, 2012 –
page 68
19.65% "A good bar fight always bonds the guys together"
March 10, 2012 –
page 103
29.77% "I'm kind of surprised by how...nice Declan is. I expected him to be more of a jerk. He's actually a really cool hero."
March 12, 2012 –
page 171
49.42% "I like Ransome. I hope he gets a book. And I hope Ana wakes up because I'm unimpressed with how she's treating Declan"
March 13, 2012 –
page 195
56.36% "Oh Ana, I'm going to have to pull your badass girl card if you do that again"
March 13, 2012 –
page 210
60.69% "I really wish the consequences of what Ana has just done had been made clear earlier in the story. I think I'd have understood her better. I'm also surprised that the book went this direction."
Started Reading
March 14, 2012 –
page 377
100% "Great epilogue!! I want the next book ASAP!"
March 14, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Laura the Highland Hussy doesn't it, though? I can't wait to read it

message 3: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer This does sound good. It shall go on my TBR List!