Amanda ChocolatePages's Reviews > Death Comes to Call

Death Comes to Call by Clare Chase

If you like cosy mysteries, then this is a book for you. Tara Thorpe is a detective with a journalistic instinct. That’s because she used to be a journalist! I knew from the start that was going to spell trouble, but also that it would make Tara a great detective.

The case Tara looks at initially seems to be quite open and shut! But Tara is not so sure and keeps digging. Her journalistic nose is correct and soon she has 2 dead bodies to investigate. Whilst the investigation continues to question work colleagues, friends and family of the dead,Tara continues to rub some of her colleagues up the wrong way. This never stopped a journalist before and I think Tara maybe forgets she is now a detective not a journalist. Tara is likeable and clever. When she has a bit between her teeth she will not let go.

I enjoyed this book because of the good range of characters, each with their own depth of personality. It’s not often I read cosy mysteries, I tend to go more for the dark or psychological thrillers so it was a good change to be transported to Cambridge which sounds like a beautiful arty place with many chameleon type people and places. I got the impression from this book that the area where that the Author wrote of could come across as idyllic until you look more closely to see the underbelly of deceit amongst some of the inhabitants. ( always a good premise for a murder or two!)

Death Comes to Call is a fictional cosy mystery which is so well written that the words flow enough to transport you to Cambridge in the snow. Where with each chapter you get to know Tara better, and while getting a feel for her, I got a suspicion and dislike for many of the other characters, while never guessing whodunit!

Clare Chase is a fantastic Author and I highly recommend her books to all lovers of cosy mysteries and to anyone who has been to Cambridge!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Comes to Call.

January 19, 2019 – Shelved