Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)'s Reviews > Only a Breath Apart

Only a Breath Apart by Katie McGarry

I was granted an e-copy of this novel from NetGalley and the Author in exchange for an honest review.

Sooo I may have devoured this book in one day. I didn't plan to, but it is just so easy to read!
McGarry has an incredible writing style, it flows with ease and even with the intense subjects that this book deals with, it is still free-flowing, not forced and easy to read. It definitly doesn't feel like a chore.

I love the magical intentions throught this book. The connection that Jesse has with the land, the way that Glory can keep Jesse and his family connected through her psychic abilites. And the way that Scarlett intwines with both Jesse and Glory within the realms of their individual magical connections with land and spirit.

I feel as though this book was a much darker novel from McGarry than usual, and I think it is important to say that if you have your own demons surrounding familial and/or spousal abuse, physical and psychological, then this book isn't one for you. Scarlett has an incredibly controlling father, who doesn't have limits when it comes to enforcing his control and rule. It is incredibly intense and at times it is hard to read. So be prepared for that.

I loved this book up until the last 10%. Something happens and I can't say much about it without spoiling it (if you want to know how I feel about it and what happens, pop to my blog www.bookishintoxicationwrites.com), so all I am going to say is that something happens that I don't think needed to happen. It didn't really take the book anywhere, other than giving Jesse a little more farming experience. Which is important to the storyline, but I feel that it could have been done in a different way?
So after that situation, the sweet ending, for me, wasn't as sweet and as final as it could have been.

I did enjoy this book, the semi-ending did force my enjoyment down, hance only 4 stars. But all in all it was a fantastic read, it was so refreshing to read about a couple who each have their own demons. There was no kight in shining armour. They saved eachother.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only a Breath Apart.

January 18, 2019 – Started Reading
January 18, 2019 – Shelved
January 19, 2019 –
70.0% "I am devouring this book! I love how easy it is to get lost in McGarry's writing style.
But with only 30% left to go, and no serious conflict as yet, I'm worried about what is to come!"
January 19, 2019 – Finished Reading