Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Severance

Severance by Ling  Ma

So I think this book is a case of the sum being greater than its parts. If you take it apart too much all it is is pieces that have been done before, apocalypse cliches, etc. But somehow the arrangement of the parts and the point of view make it a more enjoyable read for me than I would have expected if someone like Bob had mansplained it to me (ugh his character is so annoying and not even charismatic to pull of leading a group at the end of the world.)

Still I'm not sure it's likely to stick with me. My favorite scene is the moment Candace realizes there is nobody left, that she can't remember the last time she saw one of the guards. The combination of that with her NY Ghost blog is captivating.

The journey to Illinois is rather uninteresting to me although it reveals more about the fever. Yes, it's satire, but sometimes that trumps the actual writing of a solid story with a plot, and this book suffers a bit from that lack. I'd still look forward to reading what the author did next, and because of the way she organizes the pieces, the "ending" doesn't matter as much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Severance.

January 18, 2019 – Started Reading
January 21, 2019 – Shelved as: tournament-of-books
January 21, 2019 – Shelved as: post-apocalypse-and-dystopia
January 21, 2019 – Shelved as: sci-fi-fantasy
January 21, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-laser

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Michael Great review! You’re exactly right — the arrangement of the parts makes this book work as well as it does. The passages about her parents and wandering NYC alone before joining the group have stuck with me, though the road trip hasn’t.