The Nashville Wife Reads's Reviews > Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance

Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance by Ruth Emmie Lang

I looked over at Weylyn, who was still leaning out the window, blinking heavily as rain ran into his eyes. A bitter smile crossed his face, as if he knew I was watching him; as if he were answering the question that was on the tip of my tongue: Did you do this?

It all started in Holbrook, Michigan (1968) when little baby Weylyn Grey made his way into the world. It was June 29th and with his first breath came a snow storm. In just a few minutes, six inches or more had fallen and the world was changed forever.

The child turned one eye on me, then opened the other like a backward wink. His irises were molten pools of solder that had not yet set, and for a moment I thought I could see a fire behind them, keeping them liquid.

Weylyn Grey was orphaned at a young age and raised by wolves. Through extraordinary circumstances, he meets the lovely Mary Penlore and unknowingly changes the course of their lives forever. Through many trials and many unexplainable storms later, he lives many lives and meets many people. He becomes the happy owner of a magical horned pig named Merlin. Together they stop tornadoes, hurricanes and occasionally a rainstorm or two (though you won’t ever find Weylyn taking credit).

Weylyn quickly realizes the dangers he brings upon those close to him and decides it best to seclude himself, to run back to the wolves. He tried to make the best of life, tried to love but when that love came crashing down in yet another (deadly) pile of snow, he vanishes. Anyone who knew him could tell you, reader, that you hope he reappears. You hope you do not have to go through life without a Weylyn Grey in the midst of it.

As he bent down and scratched her behind the ears like she was a harmless dog, I felt a sadness more acute than anything I’d ever felt before. Weylyn Grey didn’t belong in my world. He belonged in theirs, and there was nothing I could say to convince him otherwise.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you Ruth Emmie Lang, for Weylyn. Thank you for opening your mind and creating a character so real, so loveable as Weylyn that it breaks your heart knowing he’s not real.

I don’t know. I’m beginning to think maybe he is... somewhere. He’s too incredible not to be. ♥️

If you have not yet picked up this book, you really really should. It's magical and you will never forget Weylyn or many of the others in this beautiful story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance.

January 18, 2019 – Started Reading
January 18, 2019 – Shelved
January 18, 2019 –
page 44
January 21, 2019 –
page 59
January 24, 2019 –
page 133
38.44% "I love Weylyn! 😍"
January 26, 2019 –
page 190
54.91% "I. LOVE. This book. I love the writing, I love the stories, I love all the characters... and this is her debut?!? Girl, I’m following you!! Oh I’m so in love with Weylyn... Mary & Weylyn 🥰♥️"
January 29, 2019 –