Darque Dreamer 's Reviews > On the Come Up

On the Come Up by Angie Thomas

bookshelves: top-reads

On The Come Up was pure fire! It had power, emotion, and courage. It was both thought provoking and entertaining, and had such a strong storyline, and main character!

I absolutely love this book! I loved that Bri found such power and courage through music. I loved that she was so fierce, and yet so flawed, and that she made mistakes, several big mistakes, but that she learned and grew from them. I loved that she was so unique and independent and was so strong and intelligent and a nerd at heart. And, I loved that she never gave up and she fought for her dream, and her family.

This story was so touching and incredibly strong. It wasn’t just about Bri trying to live her dream. It was about the power of family, love, loss, bad decisions, forgiveness, and doing what’s right. It was about fighting for what’s important despite your situation and what’s been handed to you. It was beautiful.

It had several strong characters, including Bri’s mother who fought to take care of her children and be a good mother, Bri’s brother who was so protective of his family, and Bri’s best friends Sonny and Malik, who treated Bri like a sister and brought a little comedy to the mix. It had powerful messages about racism, prejudice, injustice, self-image and public behavior, and how asking for help doesn’t make you weak. It had strength and beauty and was so emotional.

I really just loved that I felt like I was in Bri’s head the whole time. She was such a strong main character and, though I have never experienced any of the situations she went through, I felt connected to her. I was rooting her on the whole time and wanting things to be all right for her and her family. On The Come Up was a top read for me and I’d highly recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Come Up.

January 18, 2019 – Shelved
January 18, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 26, 2019 – Started Reading
February 26, 2019 –
page 463
75.53% "Review to come. SO GOOD!"
February 26, 2019 – Finished Reading