Anna's Reviews > Happy Never After: why the happiness fairytale is driving us mad

Happy Never After by Jill Stark

This is a powerful memoir that explores the author's experiences as she works towards healing and recovery following a breakdown and a lifetime of depression and anxiety. The author's journalistic background is apparent as she weaves her own narrative with research and interviews about how modern life sells an unrealistic picture of 'happiness' which is rarely achievable and instead creates disillusionment and disconnection.

The author gives a frank and raw account of her breakdown and her illness, and how she began to rebuild herself with the support of therapy and close family and friends. There is a great deal in the book that felt very familiar to me.

While the author shares many of the strategies that worked for her, she's quick to emphasise that these might not work for others. I was expecting this to have more of a self-help tone, so was pleasantly surprised to instead read something so brave, considered and well-written.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Happy Never After.

January 18, 2019 – Started Reading