Ivy Deluca's Reviews > Passion and Ink

Passion and Ink by Naima Simone

bookshelves: _arc-reads, stepbrother-rom

description
This is the second book in the Sweetest Taboo series, and features the taboo of the stepbrother romance. Now, I’m usually not into the stepbrother romance thing, but I gotta say this is most definitely working the chemistry between the characters and giving it that slightly dirty edge. It’s hotfire as far as the sex is concerned, no doubt and if that's all you need from this, you can stop here and know that you'll enjoy those scenes.

Jude and Cypress meet at a bar and have a insanely hot ONS, which we all know is going to lead to romance happening. That worked like gangbusters. Then they meet again at his mother and stepfather’s dinner get together, only to realize that um, oops they’re actually related, since they hadn’t seen each other in a decade…..and that’s where I struggled a wee bit, but this family is clearly about the messy love, and it leads to alot of angst. What I really struggled to buy into was the manufactured angst injected into the story by her father (frankly both parents are as messy as the younger generation and while I appreciated the time spent explaining their mess more this time around, I’m still not a fan of them). I don't think this works as well as a standalone because seeing the drama from the first book helps put this family dynamic into perspective, and why I thought this whole "try to keep the youngins away from each other while being way hypocritical" angst doesn't quite click for me.

Much like the first book, the main reason I’m not rating this higher is that it tends to hit the same beats over and over, and it gets a little repetitive with said angst, and once the secrets come tumbling out, it’s resolved fairly quickly. However, I think there are some really good scenes between Jude and Cypress where they delve into their history and both are dealing with some serious issues like panic attacks and sexual harassment in the workplace. I just wish those were delved into a bit more to give a bit more depth to the overall tale.

But if you’re into the sexual tension and heat that comes with the forbidden love trope, you may enjoy this.

**ARC provided by publisher via netgalley for review**

For more reviews, visit

description
description description description description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passion and Ink.

January 18, 2019 – Shelved
January 18, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 18, 2019 – Shelved as: _arc-reads
January 18, 2019 – Shelved as: stepbrother-rom
February 13, 2019 – Started Reading
page 24
9.09% "This book? Is literally making me sweat. Jeezus."
February 13, 2019 –
24.0% "The conflict can be spotted from a mile away, but if sex is your goal, this book is not playing around. It's getting buttery around here."
February 13, 2019 –
26.0% "I was wondering how the “step siblings but don’t know i” would work....not sure if it works for me tbh."
February 17, 2019 – Finished Reading