Erica's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Jul 03, 2007

liked it
Read in June, 2006

"You could turn up your nose at the president or Coke or even God, but there were names for boys who didn't like sports."

"Lisa had been born with a lazy leg that had refused to grow at the same rate as it's twin. I liked the idea that a part of one's body might be thought of as lazy--not thoughtless or hostile, just unwilling to extend itself for the betterment of the team."

"She was what we called Tanorexic."

"My father is the type who once recited a bawdy limerick: "A woman I know who's quite blunt/Had a beartrap installed in her... oh, you know. It's a base, vernacular word for the vagina." He can absolutely kill a joke."

"If she's old enough to bleed, she's old enough to breed."

"I can't promise I'll never kill anyone again. It's unrealistic to live your life within such strict parameters."

"My first goal was to make him my boyfriend, to trick or blackmail him into making some sort of commitment. I know it sounds calculating, but if you're not cute, you might as well be clever."

"Every day we're told that we live in the greatest country on earth. And it's always stated as an undeniable fact: Leos are born between July 23 and August 22, fitted queen-size sheets measure sixty by eighty inches, and America is the greatest country on earth. Having grown up with this in our ears, it's startling to realize that other countries have nationalistic slogans of their own, none of which are "We're number two!""

"Wearing a walkman is like being deaf with none of the disadvantages."

"In New York I'd go to the movies three or four times a week. Here I've upped it to six or seven, mainly because I'm too lazy to do anything else. Fortunately, going to the movies seems to suddenly qualify as an intellectual accomplishment, on par with reading a book or devoting time to serious thought. It's not that the movies have gotten any more strenuous, it's just that a lot of people are as lazy as I am, and together we've agreed to lower the bar."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.

02/06/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Paulimeepa you did quote the ONLY memorable lines in this book...everything else was just bad filler

message 3: by MomToKippy (new)

MomToKippy just reading this, I am sure I don't want to read the book

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim I was on the fence about whether I wanted to read this or not. But now, thanks to this review, I've had a chance to partake of some of this "witty and hysterical" humor I've been hearing so much about and I have decided I do not want to hear anymore. "If she's old enough to bleed, she's old enough to breed." Really, Dave Sedaris? Really? I just threw up in my mouth a little and then swallowed it back down.

message 1: by Ebonwill (new)

Ebonwill I guess I don't want to read this either. Is there some sort of style book for gay young men that makes them write in this mean, sarcastic way?