Callum's Reviews > 10,000 Bones

10,000 Bones by Joe Ollinger

M 50x66

bookshelves: 2019-releases, arcs

10,000 Bones is a pulpy sci-fi thriller, with some noir trope vibes on the side. It is a bundle of fun and a true page turner, with a lot of merits. While it does have the odd draw back, namely the villain being mustache-twirlingly evil, there is very little not to like.

Set on the planet Brink, where clacium is the money, Taryn is a type of cop called a Collections Agent, tasked with finding calcium being held out of circulation (say, by black market means) and getting it back in the system.

The plot itself was a lot of fun. It’s concise in all the right ways, moves at a great pace, doesn’t have any down time, and wraps up perfectly by the end with only a minimal amount of set up for any potential sequel. The writing is crisp and doesn’t dwell on unnecessary detail, which I really appreciate. Of course, this does have the slightly negative effect of not fleshing the world out quite as much, but it’s really a minor issue if it could be considered an issue at all. Really, my only issue with most anything in this story was that the villain (whom I won’t name, so as not to give anything away), doesn’t really have anything more to his character than being our antagonist. For me, a little extra detail or backstory to why they thought the way they did or were doing what they were doing would have gone a long way.

So, on to our protagonist. I really enjoyed Taryn: her backstory was compelling, and I was always rooting for her to get out of whatever crazy situation she’d managed to land herself in now. I’m not someone who is always feeling so ‘yeah, kick ass protagonist’, but Taryn really landed it for me. I always appreciated that she was able to do hard things, especially moments like killing people that aren’t technically ‘bad guys’ in a life or death situation and not feel too much guilt about it. Too many stories drag on about how the protagonist feels so guilty, but really if it’s you or them, it’s an easy choice. And a decision near the end had me truly questioning what Taryn would choose and what was truly important to her.

On that same note, her semi-side kick, semi-antagonist friend, Brady Kearns, was great. There is a lot of back and forth throughout the story if Kearns is a good or bad guy and I have to say, I honestly couldn’t decide which way I thought it would go. I was very happy with the resolution to that plot point though. He was a fun character to read about, though I do wish he had some more backstory.

The world of Brink was very fun too. It feels frontier-esque, with two big cities and a whole lot of nothing else outside of that. While Taryn hates the planet and wants nothing more than to save enough money to leave, I was always hoping to hear more about the cities and the planet as a whole. Fingers crossed a sequel will give that extra detail.

And that’s about where I stand. The characters and the world are great, the plot zips along and the writing doesn’t waste a word where it isn’t needed. I’ll definitely be looking out for any sequel this may get. 4 stars.

I received a copy of this book from Diversion Books via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 10,000 Bones.

January 18, 2019 – Started Reading