Courtney's Reviews > The Last

The Last by Tawna Fenske

bookshelves: 2019, contemporary-romance, netgalley, reviewed

I've been enjoying a lot of books published by Entangled recently, so I was delighted to see this one pop up on NetGalley. I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. And, honestly, I loved it.

While I haven't read anything by Tawna Fenske before, and this is the third book in a series, I can tell you that it works perfectly well as a standalone novel. However, I look forward to reading the other two books, since Cassie and Lisa seem like fun, not to mention I'd like to see more of Junie.

As for the book, Ian and Sarah are adorable. It's a friends-to-lovers trope that works well and I love the idea of two friends who made a pact to get married if they were still single at 30 actually considering the option when that big birthday rolls around. The chemistry is intense and the love scenes are hawt, but I really enjoyed the friendship and banter between Sarah and Ian. They were comfortable with each other, the way those in well-established relationships often are. Because of the nature of their relationship, this book is relatively low on angst, which was delightfully refreshing.

Another aspect, that actually wound up being my favorite part of the book, is that it prominently features members of the Special Needs community in very positive, affirming ways. In this instance, Sarah is a Direct Care Professional who runs a home for adults with Downs Syndrome. Ian's brother with Downs also factors into the story quite heavily. As a parent of a child with Special Needs, the scene in the gym, in particular, really spoke to my heart and showed me how wonderful these two characters are - both as humans and for each other.

In general, I strongly recommend this book and look forward to reading more by this author. If you're looking for something light and fun, with witty banter and relatively low angst, pick this one up. It's delightful!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last.

January 15, 2019 – Started Reading
January 16, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 18, 2019 – Shelved
January 18, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
January 18, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
January 18, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 18, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Nicole Westmoreland Courtney! I loved your review! You MUST read the first 2 in the series! Junie is in all 3 books and she is my favorite character! Tawna is one of my very favorite rom-com authors! I am SO glad you found this on NetGalley!!!