Brad's Reviews > Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari

419333

bookshelves: non-fiction

When I purchase audiobooks, they tend to be in one of three categories: full cast productions (like audio plays), super-fluff science fiction, and non-narrative non-fiction.⁣

SAPIENS falls into the third category—and I'm so happy that I listened to it.⁣

The book chronicles the rise of Homo sapiens from our earliest days on through the very near future, gently walking the reader through the complex issues of empire building, the development of cultures, and the ethical examinations of what it means to even be human.⁣

Much like Timothy Ferris did in COMING OF AGE IN THE MILKY WAY, a book that chronicles the rise of science and math beginning in a time that had neither until today, SAPIENS takes for a 60,000 year ride and forces you to reconsider how you think about yourself—and our human culture.⁣

This isn't a dogmatic book meant to challenge your socio-political views. Instead, it glides over human history and asks you to consider things like happiness, placemaking, and identity—and to do that for each age of man.⁣

The book was so good that I changed several routines. Instead of the morning news, I fired up SAPIENS as I made breakfast. Instead of listening to podcasts at the gym, I listened to SAPIENS.⁣

I just can't recommend this book enough!⁣

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sapiens.

Started Reading