Melissa's Reviews > Beshert

Beshert by Erin  Gordon

When I saw the title of this novel, I knew I had to read it. I use the word "beshert" a lot, especially to describe how my husband and I met. And I also went to Israel on a Birthright trip, but haven't had the opportunity to go back since, so it's nice to revisit it in a novel.

Beshert is a sweet story about an unlikely couple. I enjoyed watching Noam and Chelsea interact and especially liked when things heated up between them. It was good that both viewpoints were presented throughout the story. I really cared about both the characters and what they had going on. There were some interesting dilemmas presented and Erin Gordon handled each one really well.

I thought the Christian aspect was a bit too much in my face, but I don't deprive people of their beliefs if they're strong in their faith. I just personally felt overwhelmed by it and was relieved that Chelsea was questioning things instead of always accepting what she was taught. I appreciated reading about Noam's struggles with his beliefs and some of what he was feeling resonated with me.

I'm a 90 Day Fiancé addict and this book definitely feeds into the concepts I enjoy from the show. I could totally see Noam and Chelsea participating on a fictional version of the show if things work out for them in the long run. (Perhaps in the form of a sequel?)

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel. It speaks volumes about the way things are in today's society and it's easy to get absorbed in right away.

Movie casting suggestions:
Noam: Bob Morley
Chelsea: Olivia Cooke

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beshert.

January 18, 2019 – Started Reading
January 18, 2019 – Shelved
January 23, 2019 –
January 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Lloyd (new) - added it

Lloyd Russell Did I already tell you that this is the book we picked for Erin's RBC appearance?

Melissa Lloyd wrote: "Did I already tell you that this is the book we picked for Erin's RBC appearance?"

I don't think you did. Very cool!

message 3: by Lloyd (new) - added it

Lloyd Russell Now I'm REALLY looking forward to reading it and having her at our book club meeting in April (the 17th, to be exact).

Melissa Lloyd wrote: "Now I'm REALLY looking forward to reading it and having her at our book club meeting in April (the 17th, to be exact)."

So jealous of you both that you get to meet each other.