Cyndi Becker's Reviews > Inebriated

Inebriated by Katey Taylor

Katey Taylors' debut Inebriated had me intrigued from the moment I read the blurb. This gritty sounding YA set in San Francisco/Bay area ended up nearly being a one sitting read. The situation is one that transcends time. This could have been set in any years since the the 60's with raucous teenager girls enjoying a summer break. But before the end of the summer everything for Cait will have changed.

Life in Bay area suburb of Calaveras is pretty typical; teenagers sneaking out at night, lying to their parents and partying to extremes. The story opens with Cait waking from a blackout, literally on the streets of San Francisco. The tone is set and you know it's going to be a rocky ride. My heart ached for Cait as we witness her family descending into dissolution and she struggles to fit in and find love. Her encounter with local musician Adrien Cross changes the trajectory of her life immeasurably.

I enjoyed this book a lot and I think that if the author set out to show the reality of teen life where bad influences and poor choices have monumental and far reaching impacts. Cait experiences a transformation as she tries to deal with her parents, her friends and makes a decision that I could only see as wise - a decision that will further change the trajectory of her life. Overall I enjoyed moments where she shows keen awareness of her parents as individuals and how they try to work on their marriage for the sake of their family.

While I liked this story I did struggle with some of the writing. At times the dialogue felt very choppy or stilted, specifically the inconsistent use of contractions, and this affected the readability. Near the end Cait experiences an epiphany of sorts and while I appreciate the much needed closure on the situation, her actions and the language she uses felt unnatural for the moment, time, and her circumstance. I experienced a bit of whiplash from it but maybe that was the point. Cait is getting there but she's still not the most predicable character. After all, she is a teenager.

All the same, Cait embraces a decision that only points to a much needed and positive change and Taylor infuses the story with a poetic ending that made me really happy. 4 Stars!

*I was gifted a copy of this book in excahnge for an honest review*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inebriated.

January 18, 2019 – Shelved