Kei's Reviews > Warsworn

Warsworn by Elizabeth Vaughan

it was ok
bookshelves: 英語-english

Excessively angsty, and so deeply unsatisfying it hurts

I honestly hoped to be able to give this book a higher review. I even thought I could dedicate a full star just for the letters from Simus... but that's just it. Those letters are literally the only enjoyable thing about this book, and there are very few of them...
This book deals with sickness and death for its entirety. It heavy, it's full of angst, and negative emotions I didn't need to experience. There is too much faceless death, and also death that hit too close to home.
I can't really say anything negative about the writing or world/character building.
It's just that the decisions that were made regarding the events and directions of this book are so very deeply unsatisfying, unreasonable, and hateful.
And the negativity goes on and on. Just as you think that it's about to let up, something bad happens again. And then again, but worse. And it continues in that manner all the way to the end. And even when you think something good is finally about to happen, someone prevents it. The characters that used to bring joy are mostly gone in one way or another. And there were many frustrating moments where much reasonable things could be done and said to stop more bad from happening, but they for some reason't weren't.
It feels as if the author was in a very dark place of mind, and then took it all out on this book and us, unsuspecting readers who thought we were reading a fantasy romance. Which is understandable, but not appreciated.
While I had already read the first book twice, and am likely to read it again sometime, I really don't think I will ever want to put myself through torture of reading this volume ever again. (Maybe only Simus's letters...)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warsworn.

January 17, 2019 – Started Reading