Kirstie's Reviews > Children of Blood and Bone

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

bookshelves: fantasy, strong-female-characters, young-adult

Once the world was alive with magic until the king tried to stamp it out, murdering thousands and severing the peoples' connection with the gods. Now he raises his children to help him continue to suppress those with white hair - those who would have possessed magic. But now relics have resurfaced, there is a chance for magic to be restored.

I love a good fantasy which has a message but doesn't beat you over the head with it. Even without the author's note at the end I'd guessed some of what drove Adeyemi to write this book. Funnily enough the book I read before this was The Hate You Give, so I was in an extra receptive mood for it. I really liked the way she dug into those emotions too. Zélie's connection with her mother and to a lesser extent Amari's connection to Binta were so much of what I loved about this book.

The interplay of relationships in the main team is delicious. I won't ruin it with detailing the multiple changes and shifts throughout, but it's a delight to watch their relationships change and grow along with them all.

Also, it's a rollicking good time, jaunting about the world-scape. We go to jungles, mountains, deserts, capital cities, and sea side (or more accurately on the sea) villages and islands that only appear once every hundred years. This is what epic fantasy is all about people! I'm also totally into the much more diverse cast since this is a very West African setting (I think someone mentioned Nigeria specifically, but IDK if that was fact or their best guess). I loved the whole pantheon and its history too.

On the not so good sides, I struggled a bit with differentiating between Amari and Zélie's voices, partly because the audiobook narrator didn't seem to put on a different voice for them, but also partly they felt very similar in general. They shared a similar past pain(one fresher than the other but still), had similar goals, and opinions. If I didn't concentrate on whose name was at the start of the chapter I sometimes got confused when they referred to their brothers, since you know one was the bad guy and the other not...

Here be some ending spoilers: (view spoiler)

There were a few really awkward weird lines too (though nothing as good as 'The Lovely Bones' "pupils like ferocious olives" no one can beat that XD ). (view spoiler)

I'm hoping subsequent volumes will make some of the past a little clearer, because if the king and his father really were betrayed so badly as he seems to remember I can see why he turned out the way he did(not saying his actions were justified, just meaning I can see why how he'd ended up a nut case), but it all seemed a little too perfect when he was telling it to Inan and Amari so I'm wondering how much is conscious lies and how much is lies he's told so often he believes them himself now, or if there's yet another explanation. Either way, I'm ready for the next volume please Adeyemi.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Blood and Bone.

January 18, 2019 – Started Reading