Stacia | stacialovestoread's Reviews > The Last Summer

The Last Summer by Moira Daly

did not like it

*First off, big thanks to the author, Ms. Daly, for contacting me and providing me with this book, free of charge, to review for her. I am so grateful and so very thankful.*

This book is the story of five best friends who had come back home to hang out after their first year at their respective colleges. Each of them were blossoming in their own way but they always found their way back to the group. Each of the girls: Phoebe, Tallulah, Magnolia, Jade, and Ramona each had their own sections that gave background to their lives and explored the way things were before the girls were murdered. I had high hopes for this one, as it follows a theme that is very popular in YA currently, however, this one fell short.

My issue comes in when a story does all “tells” and no “showing”. As a storyteller you have to balance the art of feeding information to your audience, while also allowing them to make their own deductions and inferences. For any and all characters we met throughout The Last Summer, there is a paragraph, a legit paragraph, physically describing them. Again, I understand that an author wants you to see a character a certain way but....we are readers. Some of our favorite things to do are imagine places and people and such. It was a bit odd to have everything poured out for me.

Overall, I feel like this would be a much better book if an editor went through and combed through it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Summer.

January 17, 2019 – Started Reading
January 17, 2019 – Shelved
January 17, 2019 –
page 42
16.73% "So far, so good.
There are some subject-verb agreement issues, but so far I’ve been able to read through them."
January 19, 2019 – Finished Reading