Angie's Reviews > Anger Mastery

Anger Mastery by Kevin B. Burk

Jan 25, 2012

Read from January 25 to 31, 2012

I planned to read this short book quickly, but the content was so rich I took a slower approach. Burk writes this book as if he is teaching a workshop. Much of it is tongue in cheek with humorous footnotes throughout. In the beginning, the author spends some time getting you angry with political and social injustices. While this approach did not get me angry, I could relate to anger.

What I liked the most was the easy 3 step process to resolving anger. Burk's repurposing of Maslow, Katie and Hawkins made each more meaningful. The first line that really struck me was,"Respond using power rather than react using force." I chewed on that for days! Next, the chapter about the power of pain detailed how when you're in pain or fee unsafe you lose the ability to recognize what kind of pain you are in or whose business it is. This seems obvious, but how many times have you reacted from this emotional space and regretted it. One of the great tools that Burk provides are meditations. I loved the PresentMomentSafetyAwareness meditation. What a revolution!!

The discussion of the safety bank accounts really resonated with me. As I read the book, I uncovered more pearls that I will use. "The person who benefits from forgiveness is the person doing the forgiving." The segment on the difference between pain and suffering was also powerful for me.

The extra resources online were an added bonus for me.

I can't imagine this book not having something to offer everyone. I am better for having read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anger Mastery.

01/25/2012 page 50
38.0% "So far this is a very quick read on how to manage a very difficult emotion. My very favorite line that I will live by forevermore: "Respond using power, rather than react using force.""