Sh3lly's Reviews > Spin the Dawn

Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim

Review also found at:

Release Date: July 9th 2019 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers.

Gorgeous cover alert!

Maia Tamarin just wants to be a tailor, but she lives in a world where females are unequal to males, and the career is unavailable to her. Her family has run a tailor shop for years, but hard times have besieged the family. War, death, depression… Maia is left holding the business together by a thread.

When the Emperor’s representative arrives demanding a male from her family compete for the position of the royal tailor, Maia decides to go. At the palace, as a boy, she meets the Emperor and his new fiance – and Edan, the court magician.

The Emperor’s bride-to-be wants anything but a political marriage, so concocts challenges that become more and more impossible.

From the blurb here at Goodreads:

And nothing could have prepared her for the final challenge: to sew three magic gowns for the emperor’s reluctant bride-to-be, from the laughter of the sun, the tears of the moon, and the blood of stars. With this impossible task before her, she embarks on a journey to the far reaches of the kingdom, seeking the sun, the moon, and the stars, and finding more than she ever could have imagined.

This read like a fairytale, and I loved it. It really did remind me of Mulan, which is my favorite Disney “princess” movie. Edan was swoon-worthy, and I adored him. I definitely “shipped” it! Maia is a great female heroine who was loyal and willing to sacrifice everything for her family. I will definitely be reading the next one!

Thank you Netgalley and publisher for providing a digital eARC to read and review!

Previous post:

I really liked this! Edan - sigh. review to come.

Previous post:

Gorgeous cover + Mulan? Sign me up! Digital eARC provided by publisher through Netgalley.

Release day: July 30, 2019

BLOG | TWITTER

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spin the Dawn.

January 17, 2019 – Shelved
June 22, 2019 – Started Reading
June 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Marguerite (M) can't wait to read your review!