Kat Snark's Reviews > The Player

22207986

liked it
bookshelves: romance, contemporary

3.5 stars!

I really liked this one! It was super back-and-forth, angsty and fun to witness!

I love an unrequited romance, and this one was no exception. Joy was an innocent small-town girl with big dreams and too much responsibility to make them come true.

Joy is the sister of Frankie, the main character of the first book in this series. While Frankie's responsibilities include the owning and the day-to-day managing of the Bed and Breakfast, Joy helps in anything Frankie needs and the much harder managing of Grand-Em, their dementia-addled grandmother.

But Joy dreams of fashion-design, and when a possible big-break looms, accompanied by the handsome source of her unrequited love, Joy has to make a choice.

It was a sweet book, and Joy and Gray had so many moments between each other that were utterly swoon-worthy. Joy is an innocent woman, blushing but knowing what she wants, while Gray finds himself too corrupted to be with a woman like Joy.

It was a fun read, full of angsty and dramatic back-and-forth's that had me anxiously flipping through every page, waiting for the ultimate conclusion.

The only disappointments I had with this book was the credibility from book 1 to book 2. Joy was portrayed as a spineless, meek "simpleton" of a girl in the first book, ready to do whomever's bidding someone asked of her. She was lumped together with George, who has mental problems leaving him a thought-process that doesn't match his age, and I honestly thought she might be on the same boat.

But here in book 2, she's a strong woman ready to call a Wall Street shark on his shit and dives right into New York's high society as a career. Which, of course, I much prefer to the girl in book 2. But the two portrayals just don't jive in my mind.

And my second concern, seems to be a thematic one with JR Ward contemporaries. But we just didn't get enough time together with them as a couple. As soon as they accept their feelings of each other, the story ends and I'm left wanting more. This one had a little more sprinkled throughout than the first, but still not enough, in my opinion.

Check out more totally awesome bookish content at www.covertocoverlit.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Player.

January 17, 2019 – Started Reading