Leslie Lindsay's Reviews > Naamah

Naamah by Sarah  Blake

Exquisitely rendered, astonishing read about the mother of all great disasters--the Great Flood--NAAMAH is as gorgeous as it is frightening. Teeming with allegory, metaphor, and more.

This book. This book. THIS BOOK!! I am in awe. I can't stop thinking about it. NAAMAH (Riverhead, April 9th) is a stunning foray into one of the oldest and most well-known Bible stories--that of Noah and the Ark, but this telling is from the POV of Noah's wife, Naamah. In the Bible, she is unnamed, but in Sarah Blake's hands, she is truly actualized. She's a wife, a mother, a mother-in-law, a lover, a caretaker, and she has worries-- struggles on what it means to be a woman, faith, her purpose, and so much more.

Sarah Blake's background as a poet is evident. Her prose is lush but stark, weaving in plenty of lyricism, but make no mistake, NAMMAH is fiercely told with a strong narrative. In many ways, reading this story is like being dropped into a Salvador Dali painting , everything is a little surreal, a little dreamy (and there are plenty of actual dream sequences)...there's a lucidity here that will absolutely captivate and enthrall. NAMMAH is literary fiction at its best-- poetic, wildly imaginative, and Blake creates new ways of suspense and momentum, making this an utterly unputdownable read.

[Fair warning: if you're looking for a clean, wholesome Christian look at this story, you might want to stick to another telling. There are some erotic scenes and some troubling imagery].

Although this is an ancient story, I found the language bright, relevant and modern , a tough feat for someone working with such an old story, which could get bogged down in dreary language. Is it bold? Absolutely? Is it gorgeous and stunning? You bet. Do you need to read this book right now? Yes.

I found the writing and content similar to the work of Margaret Atwood (maybe most like THE HANDMAID'S TALE or ORYNX & CRAKE ) meets Laurie L. Patton's collection of poetry in HOUSE CROSSING meets THE RED TENT (Anita Diamant)--but in all honesty, I don't think I've read anything quite like NAAMAH.

For all my reviews, including author interviews, please see: www.leslielindsay.com|Always with a Book

Special thanks to Riverhead Books for this review copy. All thoughts are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naamah.

January 17, 2019 – Shelved