Rebecca's Reviews > Unfamiliar Fishes

Jan 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: travel
Read in November, 2011

I am fascinated with the history of Hawaii and its people. The Bishop Museum in Oahu is one of my favorites in the world. It's were I learned that native Hawaiians and Maori are closer related then Maori and Aboriginals of Australia. This book is about Sarah's research on the missionary experience in Hawaii, which is also very interesting to me. Did you know that Hawaiians actually wanted to get colonized by the British and they were *thisclose* but missionaries from the East Coast of the US arrived first and it wasn't until months later that the Hawaiians realized this while the purpose was the same, these were not the people they were expecting to arrive. I always wondered why British really liked traveling to Hawaii when there are other tropical places a lot closer! Imagine if Hawaii was a British colony or even still connected to them today! I think they would have separated eventually, if only due to the distance (like Australia or New Zealand) and become it's own country. How funny or random would that be today? Anyway, I liked this book a lot, if only for it's Hawaiian-ness. The topic was a little dry for me and I wish she has incorporated more of her opinion into it, but it was still a decent quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unfamiliar Fishes.