David Edmonds's Reviews > In an Absent Dream

In an Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire

1993503

bookshelves: fantasy, lgbtqia, own, portal-fantasy, read-2019, tor-com-publishing, read-2020, queer, signed, read-2021
Recommended for: Everyone
Read 3 times. Last read January 11, 2021.

Seanan McGuire's Wayward Children series of books gets better with each addition, with the latest, In an Absent Dream, by far being the strongest story to date. Following the established every other book sequence, this volume tells Lundy's portal story, as she finds her door to the Goblin Market. McGuire offers up some serious ideas to ponder, such as idea of fair value for everything and what that means to either the recipient or the giver. It's some heavy ideas, and after finishing Absent Dream, I had to take some time to really mull over the notions that are put forth, and it really made me think about my own interactions with those around me and how the idea of fair value can applied to our real world.

McGuire doesn't just write one hell of an amazing book, but she pushes us, the readers, to consider how we can actually be better people by understanding how we can, and should, be fair to each other. It's really quite a remarkable book. And her writing; it's more beautiful with every book. There are so many potential stories to be told, I hope deep down that she never leaves this series and continues to offer us such amazing books forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In an Absent Dream.

January 12, 2019 – Started Reading