Kirstie's Reviews > The Good Girl

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

liked it
bookshelves: crime

I want to preface this review by pointing out I'm not really the target market for this book and the genre it belongs to isn't a genre even in my top five preferred genres. It had been recommended to me enough and i thought I'd give it a try.

It just didn't grip me. The only reason I finished it in one day is because I had a lot of cleaning to do and was listening via audiobook. A couple of times I genuinely considered bailing and reading something else but thought, nah, it isn't *that* bad. I assume it might have something to do with this not being my preferred genre, and also because Stockholm syndrome romances typically creep me out.

The multiple points of view and the slipping back and forward in time is an interesting way to do it, and a good way to spin out a lot of the suspense.

Is it a common thing for the distraught mother to fall into the arms of the helpful cop? Is it a trope in this genre? Because it happened both in this book and The Lovely Bones (which I read yesterday).

The plot was a little bit too obvious in parts, (view spoiler)

It was discomforting for me to watch all that Stockholm syndrome going down. Was I supposed to believe it was real love, that they both just naturally fell?

On the plus side, the individual voices of the POV characters were strong and I liked the style.

I'm filing this one largely under, just not my jam.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Girl.

January 17, 2019 – Started Reading