Ursula's Reviews > Gone for You

Gone for You by Jayne Frost

Now we move from the virtuous, faithful hero of Fool Me Once to the disgustingly promiscuous Cameron, lead singer of a rock band. Yeah, I do struggle with this trope, I'll be honest.

From threesomes and very dirty, disrespectful chat between the guys in the band about the women they fuck, to use their word for it (not sure how they figure they are any different or any better than their groupies, but I guess the double standard is still alive and well) to devoted, faithful lover in the space of a few weeks, days, even, is stretching it. Cameron and his mate Logan have no interest in finding out the name of the latest hook-up. They dismissively label the blondes Betty and the brunettes Veronica from the Archie comics, because hells, we don't give a flying fuck what their actual names are, and ask each other which one they would like for a quick screw. Ugh.

So it was always gonna be a struggle to believe in a complete 180 character change. Still, I kept reading it, despite my disbelief, and despite the speedy dive between the sheets on the part of our supposedly discriminating heroine, so I guess it had something to keep me hooked. The writing is solid and the rock world described seems really enough, even though it is also very clichéd. I mean, how would I know? Never was a rock chick/groupie! (Here I must sing the praises of Jon Bon Jovi, as hot a rock star as you'd ever want, and his devotion to his wife of decades. Breaking the mold, or more usual these days than not? For me, that is a real man. But I guess we don't have the drama and angst that readers like.)

So if you'd like a quick read with some emotion and drama and dirty sex, set in the rock world, then go for it!

Will I be reading the rest of the series (about the other guys in the band)? Yes, I think so. We'll see if I get through all of them. Might have had a gutful of sexist, stupid-arse, man-whore rock stars, forgiving, push-over heroines and cookie cutter, dumb-as-fuck groupies before I get to the end, but who knows? And btw, my bad language is simple reflecting the language of the book :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone for You.

January 16, 2019 – Started Reading