Laura's Reviews > Silver in the Wood

Silver in the Wood by Emily Tesh

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, lgbtqiap-adult, review-copy, 3-star

Silver in the Wood was a pretty enjoyable read, but I found it mostly forgettable -- and I feel so bad saying that as I was highly anticipating its release. It's a loose retelling of the Green Man myths, which I've always found so interesting.

This book is marketed as a romance and it is -- to a certain extent. But unfortunately the love interests don't interact for much of the book, and even when they do, its quick encounters. I guess because Silver in the Wood is a novella, they had to get on with things, but I feel like if this book was maybe 100 pages longer, I definitely would have enjoyed it. I think the pacing was just too fast, which is very strange considering how slow the book feels. I wasn't especially happy with the climax and the ending, but again if the book had been longer, I probably would have been okay with what happened. Without spoiling anything, it just felt like the book went in a completely different direction from what it started out as.

Anyway, I'm still going to be reading books by Emily Tesh because her writing was very beautiful and despite not completely enjoying the book, there were many moments I was swept into the story (primarily at the beginning). This book just wasn't to my particular taste but if you're intrigued by the synopsis, please do pick it up! I've seen many of my blogging friends adore it and you might too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver in the Wood.

January 16, 2019 – Shelved
January 16, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 16, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
January 16, 2019 – Shelved as: lgbtqiap-adult
May 26, 2019 – Shelved as: review-copy
June 11, 2019 – Started Reading
June 11, 2019 – Shelved as: 3-star
June 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Elise (new) - added it

Elise P Oh no! I have this on hold from the library & was looking forward to it. Will have to see once it arrives!

Laura Elise wrote: "Oh no! I have this on hold from the library & was looking forward to it. Will have to see once it arrives!"

It wasn't bad! Just not to my liking -- I usually love slow character-driven books but I just couldn't get into this one. A lot of my blogging friends have rated it 5 stars though, so you might enjoy it! 💕