Mike's Reviews > The Unicorn Anthology

The Unicorn Anthology by Peter S. Beagle

bookshelves: netgalley, partly-read

Peter S. Beagle tends to be thought of - as he tells us in his introduction - as "the unicorn guy", because of his best-known book. That's not how I think of him, though. I think of him as a lit-fic author who uses fantasy tropes, but whose books tend to be dark and tragic, with imperfect people messing up their lives by their bad decisions and turning a potentially wonderful world infused with magic into something sordid and unpleasant.

And that is pretty much what this anthology gives us, which is why I couldn't finish it. All of the stories, as far as I read (72%), are well written (though, as usual, Caitlin R. Kiernan needs more copy editing), but they pretty much without exception take the unicorn, symbol of purity and innocence, and show it being corrupted in some dark, nasty way.

DNF not for quality, but for taste. It's as if a gourmet chef has, with great skill, prepared a unicorn's liver for me. I can admire the technique in the abstract, but I don't want to eat it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unicorn Anthology.

January 16, 2019 – Shelved
January 16, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 29, 2019 –
40.0% "I think this might be a DNF, not because it's not well done, but because it's tragic and gritty and generally dark."
February 4, 2019 – Shelved as: partly-read