BookOfCinz's Reviews > What We Lose

What We Lose by Zinzi Clemmons

bookshelves: 2019-reads, all-the-feels, debut, loved, short-stories

I’ve often thought that being a light-skinned black woman is like being a well-dressed person who is also homeless. You may be able to pass in mainstream society, appearing acceptable to others, even desired. But in reality you have nowhere to rest, nowhere to feel safe. Even while you’re out in public, feeling fine and free, inside you cannot shake the feeling of rootlessness. Others may even envy you, but this masks the fact that at night, there is nowhere safe for you, no place to call your own.

What We Lose by Zinzi Clemmons is raw, profound, deeply moving and will in some instances leave you gutted. The book, explores mother-daughter relationship, grief, friendship, loss and racial tension in America and South Africa. There is so much going on in these few pages but Clemmons is able to address them in the most moving way.

I am generally not a fan of non-linear novels but because I read it in two sittings it wasn't as jarring. Clemmons doesn't use a lot of words to get her point across or move the plot along. The story is told in snippers or vignettes, for some it might be a bit off putting but I found it worked well.

A must read debut novel. I cannot wait to hear more from Clemmons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What We Lose.

January 16, 2019 – Shelved