Debjani Ghosh's Reviews > The Wolf and the Watchman

The Wolf and the Watchman by Niklas Natt och Dag

bookshelves: 2019-netgalley-challenge

The Wolf and the Watchman takes the reader on a fateful journey into late 18th century Stockholm. The city is abuzz with conspiracy rumors and is divided sharply between the haves and have-nots. Niklas deserves an applause for his descriptive skills. In his deft hands, Stockholm—with its golden colored majestic buildings—is a living, breathing creature. He skillfully juxtaposes poverty and squalor of the destitute with the decadence and corruption of the affluent. The rich, as usual, are blind to the conditions of the poor. Consequently, I could feel an undercurrent of an uprising throughout the novel. Amidst this charged atmosphere, Winge and Cardell must deliver justice.

I have seldom seen such fantastic character development in a thriller. The fully developed backstory of every character provides them depth and fit seamlessly into the narrative. Cardell with his enormous strength, cynical disposition, and tendency to be foul-mouthed at the drop of a hat is a perfect foil for the stoic and physically weak Cecil Winge. Anna Stina was a major revelation. Her story mesmerized me.

Niklas builds the tempo slowly, like a spider painstakingly spinning its web. Once I was caught, I couldn’t stop reading until I turned the last page. Moreover, the villain here is truly a monster, and Niklas provides a fascinating insight into his depraved mind.

The Wolf and the Watchman is a terrific historical thriller that deserves to be on the shelves of every historical fiction and thriller enthusiast. I relished reading about the seedy underbelly of Stockholm and loved the whodunit.

The author largely spares us the brutality of reading through all the ordeals that the victim faced. Nevertheless, this book is intended solely for a mature audience.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing a free ARC of this novel. I opted to provide an honest review of this book.
My Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf and the Watchman.

January 16, 2019 – Started Reading
January 16, 2019 – Shelved
January 21, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-netgalley-challenge
January 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Carden I had no idea about this period in Sweden. Thanks for such a great review!

Debjani Ghosh Maureen wrote: "I had no idea about this period in Sweden. Thanks for such a great review!"

Thanks for the appreciation, Maureen! :)
Even I had no idea about this period of Sweden. That's why reading is so important. Books teach us so much.