Katie B's Reviews > The Favorite Daughter

The Favorite Daughter by Patti Callahan Henry

liked it
bookshelves: arc, fiction, first-to-read, south-carolina, read-in-2019

Even though I'm giving this book a fairly low rating, it's not a case of me thinking this is a horrible book and nobody should like it. I believe it will appeal to many readers but I had a few problems with the characters and storyline which prevented me from fully enjoying the book.

Lena Donohue has avoided seeing her sister, Hallie, for a decade. Let's just say Lena's wedding years ago didn't go exactly as planned and even though so much time has passed she still has unresolved issues with Hallie. Unfortunately their father has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease so she returns to her hometown to help Hallie and their brother document his life story. But when you flee your past can you ever truly come back home?

Unfortunately, I had just read a book with similar storylines and that one just worked better for me than this one. I didn't really care for the two sisters so it was hard to feel fully invested in their relationship. When you start the book you have a pretty good idea about the end game, but I was disappointed in how the author chose to get there. I wish she would have gone in a completely different direction in regards to Hallie and her husband's marriage as it just felt tired, stale, and exactly the same plot as every other love triangle type story. I also thought the romance between Lena and her love interest was kinda boring and fell flat.

I really enjoyed the author's previous novel, The Bookshop at Water's End, so I wish this book would have been a better read for me. But just because it wasn't a good fit for me, doesn't mean others won't find more positive things to take away from the novel.

Thank you to First to Read for the opportunity to read an advance digital copy! I was under no obligation to post a review and all views expressed are my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Favorite Daughter.

January 16, 2019 – Shelved
April 4, 2019 – Shelved as: first-to-read
April 4, 2019 – Shelved as: south-carolina
April 5, 2019 – Finished Reading
April 17, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Selena (new)

Selena Looking forward to your review Katie!

message 2: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Sorry to see you were disappointed Katie! 😊

Katie B Selena wrote: "Looking forward to your review Katie!"

Thanks Selena! Hopefully I will be able to post something within the next week or so.

Katie B Nicola wrote: "Sorry to see you were disappointed Katie! 😊"

Thanks Nicola!

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Sorry it didn't work out, Katie. I hope your current/next read is a great one!

Katie B Deanna wrote: "Sorry it didn't work out, Katie. I hope your current/next read is a great one!"

Thanks Deanna!

Laura I agree with your analysis. One thing I did like about the book was the theme of memory throughout the book. That stood out for me as well as place.