Lisa's Reviews > Miracle Creek

Miracle Creek by Angie  Kim

[4+] Miracle Creek is an absorbing literary courtroom thriller whose characters weave a tangled knot of lies and secrets. But more than anything, it is about the pain, sacrifice and guilt of parenthood - particularly motherhood. And love above all - the love that makes any burden bearable.

Kim doesn't shy away from exploring difficult issues here. The mothers of disabled children (mostly with autism) in Miracle Creek devote their lives to improving their child's lives, even though the rewards are often not clear. And they are utterly weary. Pak Yoo and Young emigrate from Korea to improve the life of their daughter, yet Young suffers crushing guilt for working 18 hour days while leaving her child mostly alone. This is a wise and profound novel that I can't stop thinking about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle Creek.

January 16, 2019 – Shelved
January 16, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 18, 2019 – Started Reading
April 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Beata Grand review, Lisa :)) Absolutely agree with you - you keep thinking about this book long after reading it ...

Lisa Beata wrote: "Grand review, Lisa :)) Absolutely agree with you - you keep thinking about this book long after reading it ..." Thanks Beata - this would be a wonderful book club book...lots to discuss.

Bianca Terrific review, Lisa.

Meredith Fabulous review, Lisa! I can’t wait to read this!

Lisa Bianca and Meredith, Thank you - I recommend it!

message 6: by Greta (new) - added it

Greta It sounds like my cup of tea. Thanks for the review.

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Looking forward to this one--particularly after your lovely review.

message 8: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Wonderful review, Lisa! This one is on my wishlist, and your review makes me hope I can get it soon! :)

Lisa Greta wrote: "It sounds like my cup of tea. Thanks for the review." You're welcome!

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kathleen wrote: "Looking forward to this one--particularly after your lovely review." I'd love to hear your thoughts Kathleen!

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Jaline wrote: "Wonderful review, Lisa! This one is on my wishlist, and your review makes me hope I can get it soon! :)" I hope you do also!

message 12: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara I was interested in this book before reading your review, Lisa. Now I can't wait. I hope I enjoy it as much as you.

Debbie Terrific review, Lisa! Yours is the third rave review from friends with same tastes. I’m chomping at the bit to get my hands on this one!

message 14: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Great review Lisa. I think it’s so well done, with so much to think about. So many levels of responsibility involved...parental, spousal, friend, human to human. I wonder what Kim will write next. She certainly could go in so many directions.

JanB Lisa, like you, I can't stop thinking about the issues presented in this book. Wouldn't it make a terrific book club choice? Great review!