Brona's Books's Reviews > Australian Dreamscapes

Australian Dreamscapes by Claire Takács

Loved seeing the great planting ideas on display in this book. Particularly happy to see so much use being made of our native grasses and water-wise plants. And delighted to see so much colour being used in gardens again. After the long reign of architectural gardening, I was beginning to despair of seeing colour in any garden but my own ever again!

Having tried to go completely native in two different gardens, I was also pleased to see a more commonsense approach emerge with the use of natives and exotics together to create gardens that suits their environment, using plants that best fit the climate, soil, space etc regardless of their country of origin. I love natives and will always use them, but the occasionally (non-noxious) exotic can make all the difference.

Naturally, I preferred the gardens in this book, that mostly featured natives. And I'm very keen to see if wallaby grass would work well in my garden.

The names for some of the plants have been listed in the back of the book to help the adventurous gardener!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Australian Dreamscapes.

January 15, 2019 – Started Reading
January 15, 2019 – Shelved
page 1
0.35% "Shortlisted Indie book Award Illustrated Non-Fiction 2019 Award"
page 4
1.39% "More recently, a new approach to gardening has evolved. Rather than attempting to dominate nature, a more naturalistic way of planting is applied as gardeners increasingly consider how plants grow in the wild and form communities.

The Australian gardens I chose to feature in this book are all exclusively plant focused in their design."
page 4
1.39% "The pursuit of beauty, and the desire to be surrounded by it, is central to all of the gardens presented in this book.

Many of the gardeners portrayed in this book find using native plants exclusively too limiting....They work with the notion 'the right plant for the right place'."
page 89