Ezinwanyi's Reviews > Rebel

Rebel by Beverly Jenkins

I loved this book. What a brilliantly written story full of everything I love in a novel: romance, love, danger, tension, character growth and family/community.

Beverly Jenkins is one of my favorite authors because she doesn't just tell a story, she educates the reader. It is so apparent that she really researches the era and crafts the story in a way that the reader will leave knowing a few more things about our American History. This story moved a fast pace, had drama and that familial ties that embraced people who don't have loved ones around.

In this new series set in the 1860's, Valinda Lacey moved to New Orleans to work with Nuns to educate newly empanciated slaves. She was met with some resistance from one of the nuns as well as some white supremacists who attacked her carriage. Luckily, Captain Drake LeVeq and his sister in law were on the road and rescued Valinda. It eventually led to Drake's mother to offer Valinda a place to stay and a job. Valinda was compassionate and was clear as to she wanted to spend her life as an educator. Drake was a contractor who also volunteered at the Freedmen's Bureau. Drake and Valinda had qualities that the other admired but there was hinderance.
Even though Drake was attracted to Valinda and vice versa, but she was engaged to be married to a man whom she didn't love. The marriage was important to Valinda because it guaranteed her freedom from her father and the protection of her fiance's name. Drake had his work cut out for him to show Valinda that she could have it all: freedom, family protection as well as passionate love.

I expected a well written story and I wasn't disappointed. I listened to this story and I smiled, laughed, felt sympathy, anger and hope. These characters were resilient in spirit despite the financial or societal circumstances. This author clearly values family because the LeVeq family has been a pillar in the community for several of her books. Another thing that amazed me was the way she wrote passionate sex scenes. They weren't crass and overly descriptive, just enough to make you feel butterflies in your belly but not look over your shoulder in embarrassment for your Pastor. Bravo!!!

I am excited for this new series Women Who Dare and I can't wait for the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel.

Finished Reading
January 15, 2019 – Shelved
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-romance
June 6, 2019 –
page 0
0.0% "What an education!" (ebook Edition)
June 20, 2019 – Shelved as: civil-war