Larry H's Reviews > Red, White & Royal Blue

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

bookshelves: netgalley

Oh. My. God. I couldn't have loved this book more.

It was sweet, it was romantic, it made me cry, it made me hopeful, it made me bitter that there weren't books like this when I was growing up, but it made me so happy there are books like this now for those who need it.

Alex Claremont-Diaz is the First Son of the United States. His mother is finishing her first term as president and is gearing up for a bruising re-election fight, and his father is a congressman from California. Alex is quite a celebrity—he's good-looking, charming, politically savvy, and exceptionally smart, and along with his older sister and the genius granddaughter of the vice-president, comprise the so-called "White House Trio," a group of popular millennials constantly (and purposely) in the public eye.

Alex is happy to do whatever is expected of him to help his mother, unless that whatever includes playing nice with Prince Henry of Wales, an heir to the throne (the "spare," actually) and a constant thorn in Alex's side.

"It's not a grudge, really. It's not even a rivalry. It's a prickling, unsettling annoyance. It makes his palms sweat."

When the pair's interaction at a royal wedding turns into a confrontation with embarrassingly messy (and expensive) results, damage control is necessary on both sides, so a fake friendship is created for the press and the public on both sides of the pond.

Spending time together is torture for both Alex and Henry, but somewhere during the public appearances aimed at positive photo ops, Alex realizes there's more to Henry than the handsome, perfect, and bland persona that infuriates him. Somewhere along the way both start to enjoy each other's company and the companionship via text, email, and phone that results. No one else really understands the demand of their respective roles, and no one else really understands the demons that cause them moments of sadness and doubt.

Without warning (at least to the two of them, not the reader), Alex and Henry fall intensely for each other. Both know the risks of their relationship becoming public, but they can't stay away from each other, which is no mean feat, considering Alex's mother is running for re-election and Henry is in the UK. Are they ready to jeopardize everything—Alex's mother's chance at a second term, the disapproval of Henry's grandmother the queen and the rest of his family, not to mention the damage to the monarchy? But can they walk away from each other if they need to?

"When Alex was a kid, before anyone knew his name, he dreamed of love like it was a fairy tale, as if it would come sweeping into his life on the back of a dragon one day. When he got older, he learned about love as a strange thing that could fall apart no matter how badly you wanted it, a choice you make anyway. He never imagined it'd turn out he was right both times."

Casey McQuiston made me fall hopelessly in love with this book and these characters. Even the supporting characters have more to them than meets the eye, and it's what made this book so utterly special. Is it predictable? Sure. Does it matter? Hell, no. The emotions, the fears, the doubts, the what-ifs—none of it is melodramatic, it's just so damned lovely.

Beyond the story that McQuiston has told so well, what I loved most about this book is the hope that such a love story could actually be real in this day and age. Sure, a couple like Alex and Henry would have to face crazy resistance and prejudice and opposition from many quarters, but it's definitely possible. And for an adolescent struggling with their sexuality, wondering if they ever could live happily ever after with their own prince, princess, or whomever they dream of, this book isn't a total fantasy.

I know in January 2020 (egads) when I look back on the best books I read in 2019, Red, White & Royal Blue will be among them, even though the lack of serial comma in the title is killing me. This sweet, sexy, emotional, truly special book is one I won't soon forget.

NetGalley and St. Martin's Press provided me an advance copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review. Thanks for making this available!

See all of my reviews at itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com.

Check out my list of the best books I read in 2018 at https://itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-best-books-i-read-in-2018.html.

You can also follow me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/yrralh/.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red, White & Royal Blue.

January 15, 2019 – Started Reading
January 15, 2019 – Shelved
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Drew I am very, very jealous of this.

Larry H Drew wrote: "I am very, very jealous of this."

Is it wrong of me to tell you I love it so far?

Lorilin Aw, this one sounds fun. Great review, Larry :)

message 4: by Neusich (new) - added it

Neusich Love your reviews! You make me want to read many books! Including this one!

message 5: by Toni (new) - added it

Toni Larry, this sounds really great, and of course, you make it sound special so we’ll all want to read it too. I tried to leave a comma out of my sentence, but like you, just couldn’t do it. Loved that quip about the title. 😎 Definitely adding this to my pile. As for seeing this happen in real life someday; we’re a lot closer than 20 years ago.

message 6: by Susanne (new) - added it

Susanne  Strong Well Larry, your review just made my eyes fill with tears. I love how much YOU loved this book and I can feel how emotional it was for you. I just love that. Fantastic review Lar! 🤗

Kendall Awww fantastic review Larry! I was on the fence about requesting this one but you may have just convinced me!

message 8: by Len (new) - added it

Len Evans Jr Just had to preorder it immediately after reading your awesome review!

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Your enthusiasm for this one shines through Larry! Lovely review :)

message 10: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle I just love your reviews♥️

Larry H Lorilin wrote: "Aw, this one sounds fun. Great review, Larry :)"

Lorilin, it was so sweet! Thanks!!

Larry H Neusich wrote: "Love your reviews! You make me want to read many books! Including this one!"

Thank you so much, Neusich!!

Larry H Toni wrote: "Larry, this sounds really great, and of course, you make it sound special so we’ll all want to read it too. I tried to leave a comma out of my sentence, but like you, just couldn’t do it. Loved tha..."

Thanks, Toni! Glad you share my comma quirks!! :)

Larry H Susanne wrote: "Well Larry, your review just made my eyes fill with tears. I love how much YOU loved this book and I can feel how emotional it was for you. I just love that. Fantastic review Lar! 🤗"

Thanks so much, Susanne! I thought predictable or not, sappy or not, it was just such a great story. Loved it.

Larry H Kendall wrote: "Awww fantastic review Larry! I was on the fence about requesting this one but you may have just convinced me!"

Thanks, Kendall! Come on over to this side of the fence, lol!

Larry H Len wrote: "Just had to preorder it immediately after reading your awesome review!"

Thanks, Len!! Hope you enjoy it, too! (You read a lot more of these books than I do, so hope it stands out for you.)

Larry H (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "Your enthusiasm for this one shines through Larry! Lovely review :)"

Thanks so much, Bern!! :)

Larry H Michelle wrote: "I just love your reviews♥️"

Wow, thank you so much, Michelle!

Beatriz I have been wanting to read this since I read about it, but now with you review even more!

Larry H Beatriz wrote: "I have been wanting to read this since I read about it, but now with you review even more!"

I hope you love it, Beatriz!

Derek I got to read an ARC of it, and LOVED IT!!! It gave me hope for all the baby gays growing up now. My only complaint is there should have been a delineation when the book jumps forward in time mid-chapter. Other than that, I loved it. Wish it was coming out in hardcover.

message 22: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I’m about to start the audio of this and am SO excited after reading this review!!