Sherri Rabinowitz's Reviews > Come, Tell Me How You Live

Come, Tell Me How You Live by Agatha Christie Mallowan

This is such a fun book, I read it quickly. I love learning how the archaeology worked back then and the way they explored Syria and how much fun and adventure they had.

Now to start with the tough stuff; If you read books written long ago, one thing you have to learn is to accept that they will be filled with prejudices of the time. I don't think that Agatha was really prejudiced, she truly loved Syria and the people there, but her way of expressing herself was of that time. If you read her novels you see how they change, they become more understanding, the way she describes people becomes more modern and less prejudiced. I believe that was because of her travels and her love of learning about new people and new things. It is a lesson I learned from traveling with my parents and then on my own, if you travel open hearted with a sense of adventure, you learn about other people and cultures and you become a more rounded person.

I see a lot of evidence of it in Agatha Christie's writings. And I really enjoyed seeing the way Syria was way back then before the "IS" got a hold of it, and destroyed it. (which breaks my heart, I kept looking up the sites that Max was working on, to see if they were still there, most had been destroyed or mostly destroyed. His life's work and the work of four generations of archaeologists destroyed. History does not just belong to one culture, it belongs to everyone, it is part of the historical record of the human species. To destroy it is just utterly heartless. A crime against humanity.

Now to the fun part; I loved her humor, how she made fun of herself and everyone else. The glimpse of the marriage between her and Max. The beauty of the places she went to, the marigolds, the wonderful clothes of the Kurd women, the sweetness of the people, the crazy scrapes the workers got into. The great descriptions of the archaeology at the time. (I have a lesser degree in archaeology and it was one of the reasons I really, really wanted to read this book, that plus my love of Agatha and my curiosity about Max.) The way the finds were split between the expositions and the people of the country they were in. Pretty fair really. (Not like the old days in the 1800's where people just took stuff for their universities and museums without the permission of the country or the people. ) It is a fascinating read and I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come, Tell Me How You Live.

January 15, 2019 – Started Reading