The Word Nerd Reviews Blog's Reviews > Sleight of Hand

Sleight of Hand by Julie Rowe

bookshelves: arc-reviews, emotional, ptsd-trauma, romantic

description

Sleight of Hand by Julie Rowe is a fast paced, action packed story with enough emotion to keep this little, not so closet, romantic heart happy.

This is the first book I have read by this author, so I had no expectations beyond enjoying a good story. From the premise, I thought it would have action with a suspense theme, and of course, a love story. The author delivered on all counts!

The main story is an action/suspense theme with a ‘how are we going to save the day’ type of plot; but the characters ensure that it’s not merely a superficial ‘James Bond’ type of tale, instead, it has emotional depth with the traumatic pasts of both main leads, and many of the secondary characters, and a constant sense of unease as it is hinted that not all of the ‘good guys’ are necessarily good. The idea that not all individuals working on this threat have good intentions is not resolved in this book, I get the feeling that it will carry over to at least the following book. I can’t wait to see if my suspicions are correct!

This book is definitely a romance, but it doesn't overwhelm the story. The main focus is the biological threat, and who, where and why it is happening. The romance gives the story depth and, through changes of points of view of the two main leads, gives you a look into the traumatic history of the characters and insight into how, and why, they interact with each other, and the group at large. Although it is not central to the story, the romance is definitely there, and the emotion, and heat, between the two main leads, is palpable, and oh, so good!

This book can be read as a standalone. I hadn’t read any of the earlier books and it didn’t hinder my enjoyment of this one. Looking at the premises for the other books, they would give backstory to a couple of the characters that appear in the book, and to be honest, it may just give that extra element. But it isn’t necessary to read them first and still completely enjoy this book.

That said though, I will be going back and starting the series from the beginning. I really enjoyed the world that Julie Rowe has created, and I’m curious to go back and read about the other characters. I’d highly recommend Sleight of Hand by Julie Rowe.

description

All my reviews can be found on my blog: The Word Nerd Reviews
Follow Me: Facebook & Twitter

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleight of Hand.

January 15, 2019 – Started Reading