Madeleine's Reviews > It Ends with Us

It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

20603646

bookshelves: 2019-reads, library-loan, x-contemporary

WOOOWWWW, I for real read this whole book within a day. DEVOURED IT.

Verity was my first CoHo book, and It Ends with Us was my second purely on it being what the library had on its shelves. Needless to say, I didn't know that much about the plot going in, and the summary on the back of the book doesn't give you any true indication of it. I understand wanting to keep a part of the plot under wraps for a reveal, but I think it's important people go into this book understanding what it's about -- along with a TW for domestic abuse.

That being said, I find this book hard to talk about without being a little spoiler-y, but I'll try to keep it vague. Read ahead at your own risk.

This book was SO GOOD. I connected with Lily, and felt for everything she had been through throughout her childhood. While I wasn't head over heels for Ryle myself, I understood why Lily seemed to love him so much. Colleen Hoover's writing is just so easy to read through, it's so easy to find yourself deep into this novel without realizing how far down the rabbit hole you've gone.

Honestly, I saw it coming that Ryle would be abusive, so that wasn't particularly a shock or a twist to me. I am fortunate enough to have never been the victim of physical domestic abuse like what Lily or her mom suffered from, and the internal monologue Lily had with herself made my heart break. Of course, many women who have not been victims (myself included) often wonder the same as Lily wondered of her mother -- why doesn't she just leave? Can't she see that he doesn't love her? Why does she allow herself to be treated like this? And then, just the twist of Lily ending up in the same exact situation, and NOT leaving herself... ugh. It was too much.

It's been over a week since I read the book, and upon reflection it is not without its flaws. But maybe that's my fault because I have a terrible habit of reading 2 star reviews of books I've recently finished. So I did have to bring my rating down a bit after my initial enthusiasm.

With some time away from the book, I did see how it was very emotionally manipulative, but dammit, CoHo got me with it. I thought the "Letters to Ellen", while necessary for background on both Lily and Atlas, were a bit over the top, but I also could honestly see myself doing something like that at a younger age. I thought the coincidences that brought Lily and Ryle together were just a little too convenient to be realistic.

And finally, I NEEDED MORE ATLAS. (view spoiler)

I'm officially a CoHo fan, and can't wait to read another one from her backlist. I have a lot of catching up to do. I went into this thinking it'd be a quick, light read. LOL. It was a quick read, and the language used was very easy to blow through (see: me reading this entire thing within 24 hours), but a light read, 'twas not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Ends with Us.

January 14, 2019 – Shelved
February 8, 2019 – Started Reading
page 81
page 193
51.33% "Dear Colleen,

Why you gotta do me like this 😭😭😭😭😭"
page 221