MC's Reviews > In the Country We Love: My Family Divided

In the Country We Love by Diane Guerrero

3919976

liked it

This book is an invaluable perspective of how a broken immigration system can result in lasting repercussions for families and friends left behind. After immigrating to the U.S. illegally, Guerrero's Colombian parents attempt to pursue a legal path towards citizenship. For years, they pay taxes, work several jobs, put their kids through school and give thousands of dollars in fees to so-called immigration attorneys only to discover they've been conned. After the sudden deportation of her parents, 14-year old, U.S. citizen Guerrero is left with friends of the family to fend for herself.

Guerrero's story is moving and fraught with so much adversity. But, the book is unfortunately really poorly written. And, I'm not just talking about the typos, of which there were several. To be fair, Guerrero isn't a writer by trade. She was an actress on the show "Orange is the New Black" and her story might be better served in an audiobook format where Guerrero can speak colloquially and deliver her sense of humor that dominates most of the book.

Take for example an upsetting chapter where Guerrero discusses self-harm and two attempts of suicide after struggling with crippling debt and deep depression. Inexplicably, she decides: Hey, I know I was literally just about to jump off this building but let's start the next page with a full-page picture of me in a corset from my bartending days. *Insert nervous laughter* K, thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Country We Love.

January 14, 2019 – Started Reading